- Try to stay in well-lit areas where possible and make sure other people know where you are.
- Avoid walking home alone after an evening out; walk with friends or take a taxi.
- Avoid using a personal music player or mobile phone while walking or jogging.
- If you think that you are being followed, walk to the busiest place you can find, knock on a door and then call the police.
- If someone attempts to take something from you, consider letting them have it rather than risk being hurt.
- Consider carrying a personal attack alarm and use the alarm if you feel in fear. Alarms are available from Woking Police station, the front counter at the Civic Offices or the public library in Gloster Square.
High visibility patrols have been stepped up across the town and police are keen to reassure local residents that they have launched a full and thorough investigation into the incidents to trace the offenders.
Anyone with information about either incident can contact Guildford CID on 0845 125 2222. Alternatively Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously and free of charge on 0800 555 111.